- MBBS
 - MS/MD/Diploma
 - DM/M.Ch.
all about medical  
Sardar Patel Medical College,Bikaner

 
AddressBikaner 
Pin Code33400  
State Rajasthan 
Phone0151-2226300 
Fax0151-2226301 
E-mailData Not Available 
Websitemyspmcbikaner.org 
Year of Establishment1959 
ManagementGovernment 
Trust NameData Not Available 
Contact InfoData Not Available 
LocationData Not Available 
Hostel InfoData Not Available 
More Info The main hospital in the city of Bikaner was housed in the present Fort School on the station road. It used to have the facility for the operations and a good operation theatre existed. Dr. Bandarwala was the Chief Medical Officer. Dr. Mrs. Nilakaptd Shiva Kamu, M.B.B.S.; M.R.C.P., L.M. (Rotunda), was the Principal Zenana Medical Officer, who joined on 14th January 1929. She used to operate on not only female patients but also on the male patients. The operations performed by her included amputation of the penis as well. Mr. Makhtool Singh was the dispensing compounder at that time that used to prepare mixtures and various ointments for the dressing of wounds.

Prior to that Dr. Leut. Col. Krishanrao Raghunathrao Tipnis, M.B.B.S. joined Bikaner State Medical Services on 5th November' 1922. His highness Ganga Singh Ji believed in the proverb, 'As is your pathology so is your practice' and therefore, Pathologist and Bacteriologist could find the place among the earlier staff members of the Capital Hospital. Dr. G. K. Mukherji was the first Pathologist and Bacteriologist of the state hospital, who joined Bikaner State Medical Services on 16th August' 1932. Dr. Bandarwara was replaced By Dr. V. S. Hariharan, who was F.R.C.S. and had joined Bikaner state Medical Services on 1st April 1933. The resident surgeon, Dr. A. F. Lasardo, F.R.C.S., soon joined the state Medical Services on 7th May' 1934 followed by Dr. S. N. Asopa as assistant surgeon, who joined on 1st June' 1934 and Dr. T. K. Uttam Singh, the Ophthalmic Surgeon, who joined state services on 14th October' 1934. Two lady doctors namely Dr. (Mrs.) Manapragda Sharda Krishna Rao, M.B.B.S.; D.G.O. (Madras) and Dr. Mrs. S. Janki, M.B.B.S. (Madras) joined the Bikaner State Medical Services in the month of July 1934 as Lady Assistant Surgeons, Women's General Hospital. Dr. Shiv Charan Das Gupta and Dr. Pyare Lal Rishi joined as assistant Surgeon on 26th April and 13th December' 1935 respectively. The royal palace used to have two Doctors, Dr. K. R. Tipnis and Dr. Shanker Lal Bhargava (Both M.B.B.S.). The country town hospitals included Ganganagar Hospital and Churu Hospital headed respectively by Dr. B. G. Tipnis and Dr. S. K. Mukherji, who had taken over their charges on 10th October' 1926 and 1st January 1930 respectively. The P.M.O. himself used to superwise the jail dispensary and Vaccination department.

P.B.M. Era
The Golden Jubilee of the reign was celebrated in the year 1937, the year which was again marked by severe famine and at one time it was thought that the programme of Golden Jubilee may have to be given up in favour of famine relief work but the rains made their way in the month of September and the programme of Golden jubilee continued! Two new State Hospitals in the memory of Prince Bijay Singh were erected By His Highness Ganga Singh Ji and were flame as Prince Bijay Singh Memorial Men's Hospital (316 beds) and Prince Bijay Singh Memorial Women's Hospital (215 beds) respectively. These hospitals were inaugurated by His Highness of Udaipur, Maharana Bhupal Singh, who used to maintain good relations with H. H. Ganga Singh Ji.

Dr. Himmat Singh, who had passed M.B.B.S. from Bombay, was very close to his Highness and was therefore, sent to England on deputation to pass the F.R.C.S. examination. After spending seven years in England, he returned with many degrees (M.R.C.S.; L.R.C.P. and D.O.M.S.) but not with the F.R.C.S. and therefore, he could not be made chief surgeon and had to be appointed as Ophthalmic surgeon in P.B.M. Hospital on 16th May 1937.

Dr. S.R. Moolgaokar, F.R.C.S. joined as P.M.O. and. Chief surgeon in 1937, soon after retiring from the post of Professor of Surgery, Grant Medical College, Bombay. He was regarded as the Doyen of surgery at that time and had head and shoulders above any surgeon in the country. Dr. Shanker Dinker Sahasrabudhe M.B.B.S. (Bombay) took over the charge of Pathologist and Bacteriologist on 14th August' 1937 from Dr. Gyanendra Krishan Mukherji, who was transferred to Chemical analysis Department.

In late thirties, the plan to start a Medical College at Bikaner was chalked out. But unfortunately for Bikaner, Dr. Moolgaokar, who had been trying for all this, had to leave prematurely for his personal reasons (for not getting the house of his choice inspite of assurance of H. H. and H. H. not liking his constant hammering of the same point again and again) and with him the proposal to start a Medical College was also dropped. (Dr. D.G. Ojha, when he was the Principal in 1964, discovered out of a heap of old records a bound detailed plan worked in late thirties with cross sections and costs plan of a future Medical College in Bikaner. It is amazing to note that the site and shape of the college as built today was identical to the one planned by the great ruler, minus the tail end of back block, which Dr. D.G. Ojha got completed in late sixties). Had a medical college been started in Bikaner at that time it would have been 13th in the country (three in Bombay, two in Calcutta and one each in Madras, Hydrabad, Lucknow, New Delhi, Vishakhapatnam, Mysore and Patna had already started).

Thereafter, with the premonition of second world war, when Jews flew out, Dr. Richard James Weingarten (M.D.-Berlin) was made the P.M.O. of the Medical Department of Bikaner State Services on 26th October' 1938. He had discovered 'tropical eosinophilia' in Bikaner and the disease is also known as Weingarten's syndrome. Dr. Alfred Hollositz (D.S.-Austria) also joined as dental surgeon same month. Dr. Chester M. Van Allen, M.D. took over the charge of Chief Surgeon, P.B.M. Men's Hospital on 1st August 1940 along with Dr. John J. Wolfe, M.D. as resident Surgeon. Dr. Shiv Charan Das Gupta was given the charge of anesthetist on 1st November 1940.

Shri Jaswant Singh Ji used to be Health Minister of the state at that time and His brother Bagh Singh Ji (subsequently Brigadier, who has provided references for many events in this article) was harbouring a ureteric calculus. Dr. Himmat Singh persuaded him for operation by Dr. Allen, the well known surgeon, but Mr. Bagh Singh was reluctant and left the hospital against medical advice. Dr. Himmat Singh came to his house and showed his unhappiness for disregarding the advice of the great surgeon, but the next day the stone passed out spontaneously.

The important lady doctors to join in the P.B.M. Women's Hospital after its inauguration included Dr. (Miss) Aleyamma Vazahparampil Chacko on 1st May 1937, Dr. (Mrs.) Perun Kulam Subramania Iyer M. Lakshmi, M.B.B.S. on 28th October 1938 and Dr. (Miss) Nalini Nates Dravid, M.B.B.S. (Bombay), F.R.C.S. (Edin.) on 1st Feb. 1940,

On the eve of Golden Jubilee of his reign, a hospital for tuberculosis patients was also built with a cost of Rs 2,25,000/ - having 92 beds. To start with Dr. Bhola Nath Bhargava joined as sub-assistant surgeon on 6th October 1937. But soon Dr. Shurvir Singh took over as Incharge on 4th December '1939 and Dr. Sant Lal Joined as sub-assistant Surgeon on 1st October 1943. Another addition was that of children's ward in the P.B.M. Women's Hospital, the fund for which was provided from the privy purse of His Highness Maharaja Ganga Singh Ji.

The provision was made for purchase of costly equipments and employment of various specialists to update the standard of the treatment. As a result, Many new doctors joined the P.B.M. Men's and Women's Hospitals including Dr. Rameshwar Prasad, F.R.C.S. (England) as second surgeon on 27th October 1941, Dr. Lalbhai Madhavlal Sanghvi, M.B.B.S., M.R.C.P. (London), D.T.M. & H. (England) as second Physician on 9th June 1942, Dr. Guruswami Narayanan, M.B.B.S., M.S (Madras) as Otolaryngologist on 2nd Sept. 1942, Dr. (Miss) Sumati Mangesh Telang, M.D. (Bombay) as Suptd. Medical Officer in Zenana Hospital, Dr. (Miss) Kunnathel Chandrika, M.B.B.S. as Lady Assist. Surgeon on 11th Sept. 1943 and Dr. Durga Dutta G. Ojha, B.Sc, M.S. (Bombay) as Assist. Surgeon on 31.12.1943.
 

 Details of courses available in
Sardar Patel Medical College,Bikaner

Course Name Affiliation/Recognition   Eligibility  Intake Inception
Graduate Level Courses
MBBS   100  
MCI, New Delhi 
 
Post Graduate Level Courses
MD - Anaesthesiology   5  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD - Dermatology , Venereology & Leprosy   1  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD - General Medicine   10  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD - Paediatrics   4  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD - Pharmacology   -  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD - Psychiatry   1  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD - Radio Diagnosis/Radiology   2  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD - Radiothrapy   1  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD - Tuberculosis & Respiratory Diseases   1  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD/MS - Obstetrtics & Gynaecology   -  
MCI, New Delhi 
MD/MS - Obstetrtics & Gynaecology   8  
MCI, New Delhi 
MS - ENT   1  
MCI, New Delhi 
MS - General Surgery   10  
MCI, New Delhi 
MS - Ophthalmology   2  
MCI, New Delhi 
MS - Orthopaedics   2  
MCI, New Delhi 
 





Comments and Reviews About
Sardar Patel Medical College,Bikaner




© 2003-2016 EduPro Technology (P) Ltd.        About Us      Contact Us